Originating from the delicatessen owned by Uldoric Carignan that was relocated to the corner of rues Badeaux and Saint-Antoine in Trois-Rivières shortly after the fire of June 1908, this tap was used to contain or pour, at will, the wine contained in his barrels.

At his previous establishment, which opened in 1885, this merchant had already been caught at least once, between 1888 and 1897, by the local police chief, Louis Hamel, for allowing customers to consume wine without authorization in the courtyard of his store, which was at that time located on rue des Forges.

Born in the Notre-Dame-de-la-Visitation de Champlain parish on February 15, 1860, Uldoric Carignan was the son of Pierre Carignan and Elmire Bailly. At the age of 21, he began a long career in business serving the people of Trois-Rivières. First, around 1881, as a clerk for his uncle Onésime Carignan, a grocer, Uldoric decided to open his own grocery business four years later. Like many residents of Trois-Rivières, on June 22, 1908, he was struck by tragedy; his losses were estimated at $15,000.

After this terrible fire, he was one of the first merchants to rebuild. Carignan entrusted the construction of his new establishment to U. L. Marchand, a contractor. The following year, according to the June 8, 1909, edition of Le Bien public, this contractor sold, through A. Charbonneau, all the equipment used on easy terms (mixer, wheelbarrows, trestles, timber, etc.). Potential buyers could visit 26, rue des Volontaires or dial 14 on a telephone. There were only two digits to dial back then!

Uldoric Carignan was also one of the pioneers in the history of the hydroelectric developments in the Saint-Maurice region. Indeed, around 1896, with the help of Navégius Mailhot, he tried to set up a power plant at Shawinigan Falls, but without success. The authorities refused to grant them operating privileges.

In 1884, Uldoric Carignan married Annie Comtois, the sister of Msgr. Alfred Odilon Comtois, fourth bishop of the diocese of Trois-Rivières.

Uldoric and Annie would have at least eight children: Marie-Ange, Cécile, Jeannette, Éliane (who married Jules Fecteau), Berthe, Gabrielle, and Simonne. The eldest, their only son, Sylvio (1887-1963), first worked as a clerk at his father’s grocery store, then partnered with him.

Respected by all, Uldoric Carignan died on June 9, 1949, at the age of 89. Sylvio took over and made the family business, which was known as Uld. Carignan Enrg., thrive. He began to modernize it in the early 1950s while preserving its identity as a licenced butcher shop and delicatessen.

It was then up to Sylvio’s two sons, Jean then André, who had been employees of the establishment since the late 1940s, to take responsibility for the business after the death of their father.

The business closed its doors for good shortly before the City began construction on a massive multi-level parking lot in this part of downtown Trois-Rivières in 1991.

Donation from Louis Fecteau, priest, grandson of Uldoric Carignan
Musée Pierre-Boucher Collection
1978 303 I