Here is a sign from the embalmers and funeral directors F. Gauthier & Fils, whose business had its offices at the corner of rues Saint-Georges and Royale in Trois-Rivières from 1891 to 1922.

Félix Gauthier was initially a wheelwright. In 1891, in his early fifties, he and his son, Joseph Donat, who was in his early twenties, joined forces to become undertakers. At that time, it is believed that their role may have been limited to decorating the houses of people in mourning, because at that time, the deceased was displayed in a room in the family home. The company and its founder, already competent in terms of vehicles, were responsible for transporting the deceased, resting in their coffins, to the church, then to the cemetery.

In 1913, the company explicitly established an embalming service. It also acquired three hearses: two black ones for adults and one white one for children.

In June 1915, in a paid advertisement in the newspaper Le Bien public, the company launches to readers “who fall asleep without foresight, wake up without resources.” Its goal was to announce the arrival in Trois-Rivières of the Société mutuelle de frais funéraires and to invite the public to subscribe.

After 31 years “of work and success with very well cared-for customers,” citing health reasons, Le Nouvelliste published an ad from F. Gauthier & Fils, expert embalmers, on May 24, 1922. They were selling their business as well as all their wares and equipment as undertakers: five hearses, an ambulance, a horse, a harness, and other funerary accessories.

In September 1922, we learn that Jos. Lussier, of Lussier Frère, located on rue des Forges, bought the company and became the successor of Gauthier & Fils.

Furthermore, in March 1933, Gauthier & Frère advertised itself in Le Nouvelliste as embalmers and funeral directors with the mention “successors of F. Gauthier & Fils.” At that time, this business was located right at the corner of rues Saint-Georges and Royale.

Musée Pierre-Boucher Collection
1982 284 H