CASE CONTAINING HOLY OILS

Holy oils are blessed oils used for the sacraments, such as the anointing of the sick, in the Catholic religion. This set belonged to Msgr. Isidore Clut (1832-1903), an oblate who had been a missionary in Western Canada.

Born in France in 1832, Isidore Clut (Cleu) entered the novitiate of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate in 1853 and took his vows the following year.

Monsignor Alexandre-Antonin Taché (1823-1894), himself an oblate (and a descendant of Pierre Boucher [1622-1717], for whom this museum is named) and at that time bishop of Saint-Boniface in Manitoba since 1853, invited Clut to come and settle in North America in 1857. Msgr. Taché ordained the young Clut in the priesthood and sent him to the Nativity mission in Fort Chipewyan, Alberta. Clut worked there from 1858 to 1869.

His evangelization territory was immense. Although he was stationed at the Vicariate of Athabasca-Mackenzie, he was forced to take exhausting trips as far as Alaska. In the early 1880s, he returned to France to seek treatment for diabetes and an oedema in one leg. After returning to Canada in 1885, he was treated in Montreal in 1886, then again in France in 1887 and 1889. In 1894, he became chaplain of the Sisters of Providence at the Saint-Bernard mission until his death in 1903.

Musée Pierre-Boucher Collection
1977 240 O.7-1